Petroleum certification

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 came into effect on the 01 October 2014.

To find out more about how this will affect you as a petroleum filling station owner or “keeper” please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue, will now be termed as the Petroleum Enforcement Authority (PEA).

The issued required storage document will be termed a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC). The PSC will be issued to a “keeper” as opposed to a licensee.

There is a legal transition period which guarantees that all existing licences will be in force until the normal date of renewal, unless you as a keeper undertake specific material changes on site. These are explained in the documents contained in the HSE site.

Our administration teams will be corresponding with keepers several weeks prior to the termination of current licences to prepare for the issue of the PSC.

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue is the certifying authority for the storage of petroleum in South Yorkshire. To protect the public and the environment, petroleum is certified to ensure that it is kept and dispensed in a safe manner.

If you are storing or proposing to store Petroleum for commercial or retail purposes and do not have a certificate, you must apply for one. A certificate is also required for the storage of LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) or Calcium Carbide.

Application forms for Certificates for Petroleum may be downloaded from this site or call 0114 272 7202 and ask for the Technical Fire Safety Office in either Sheffield/Doncaster/Rotherham or Barnsley to discuss your requirements.

Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) – Risk Assessment

If you intend to store petroleum you, as a certified keeper, will be required to complete a risk assessment based on DSEAR, further information on completing a DSEAR risk assessment can be found at SYFR DSEAR Guidance and on the following website

Petroleum Certification Fees

The fees and charges payable in respect of applications for the granting of storage certificates under the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 can be found within Part 5 of the The Health and Safety and Nuclear (Fees) Regulations 2016. Please follow the link:

This content was last updated on March 31st, 2016