Firefighters were called to a detached house at Chaloner Heights in Blacker Hill, Barnsley at 9.30pm on Tuesday night, after a barbecue spread to decking and then to the house and garage.
Four fire crews from Tankersley, Barnsley, Cudworth and Dearne stations were quickly at the scene. All occupants were already safely out of the property when crews arrived.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels to put the fire out.
Three dogs were safely rescued from the house.
Crews left the scene at 11pm.
BBQ safety tips:
• Make sure your barbecue is well away from sheds, fences, trees and shrubs.
• Keep a bucket of water and/or a hose pipe nearby in case of emergencies.
• NEVER use petrol or paraffin on your barbecue. Use only recognised lighters or starter fuel on cold coals in moderation.
• Keep children and pets well away from the cooking area.
• NEVER leave the barbecue unattended.
• NEVER put ashes straight into a dustbin/wheelie bin. If they’re hot they could melt the plastic and cause a fire.