South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue declared a major incident last night at around 11.30pm as a result of widespread flooding across the county.
Our officers and firefighters have been working tirelessly alongside our partners from other emergency services, local authorities and the Environment Agency to help as many people as possible.
Here’s a quick round up of a number of flooding related incidents we attended over the last 24 hours.
- Mapplewell in Barnsley, 07:15pm, we helped to pull a stranded vehicle to safe ground
- Old Sheffield Road in Canklow, 07:30pm we rescued a stranded person in a vehicle. The water had flooded the car up to the steering wheel
- Hague Lane in Wentworth, 07:52pm. We assisted in transferring a patient in to an ambulance
- Fitzwilliam Road in Eastwood at 08:03pm we helped a number of occupants whose homes had been flooded
- Longley Lane at 08:13pm crews assisted in providing sand bags to prevent water from flooding the cellar and boiler of the building
- Recreation Road in Wath-Upon-Dearne we attended a call involving one vehicle that was stranded in flood water. We were called at around 08:21pm
- At -9:13pm we attended a three-storey building on Piper Road in Sheffield to pump out flood water from the first floor
- Crews assisted a car on Old Sheffield Road, Canklow at 09:18pm. One vehicle was stranded with water up to the windscreen. We rescued 3 individuals who were trapped on the roof of their car
- In Rawmarsh, we helped one male who had left his vehicle and was stranded in a field of water. We attended at around 10:02pm
- We carried out a rescue on Station Road in Rotherham at 10:14pm
- Two casualties were rescued on Treeton lane at around 10:24pm. The occupant of the vehicle and one paramedic had been stood out in the cold water for a long period of time and were then assisted by an ambulance
- Two adults and a baby were stranded in a vehicle in Northfield, Rotherham at around 11:06pm. Crews donned waders and pushed the vehicle to safety
- We assisted an elderly lady in leaving her property on Meadow Street, Laughton Common at 11:18pm
- One male was stranded in his van at 11:22pm on Aldwarke Lane in Rotherham. He had no injuries and crews were able to get him to a place of safety
- A cellar on Ringinglow Road in Sheffield had around 10 inches of water in the basement. We utilised the owners own pump to begin pumping the water out
- We assisted an ambulance in getting to an elderly lady in her home on Frederick Street in Rotherham at 11:42pm
- Early hours of Friday morning we helped one male who was trapped in his LGV vehicle on Aldwarke Lane. We used a paddle boat to get to him
- At 04:33am this morning on Hooton Road in Kilnhurst we helped three males stranded in their vehicle
- Crews pumped out a flooded cellar on Osborne Street, Barnsley, at 6.05am
- Firefighters were back to Hooton Road, Kilnhurst, at 6.39am to rescue an elderly gentleman from his car which was stranded
- A crew from a neighbouring fire service rescued three people who were stuck on the top of a marooned vehicle – this was on Chappell Drive, Doncaster, at 7am
- Using a water rescue boat, crews rescued six people from a row of cottages on Nursery Lane, Sprotbrough at 7.19am
- A total of 14 people were rescued from a building on Fullerton Road, Canklow, at 7.51am
- Crews helped a large number of people, who were trapped in their properties on Lang Avenue, Lundwood, between 8 and 9am
Our one, key safety message is do not enter flood water– either in your car or on foot.