Fireworks and explosive storage licences

In nearly all cases where an individual or business is acquiring, keeping, transferring, storing or manufacturing explosives, an explosives licence is required from the relevant authority. Across South Yorkshire, we are responsible for granting an explosive licence.

What is an explosives licence?

An explosives license is a document that allows the holder to store and/or manufacture explosives in a suitable premises. The holder of an explosives license is the person that makes sure the licensing conditions are being met. If you are applying for the first time for your premises, part of the application process will include an inspection by one of our officers.

Where an applicant plans to use a premises on a short term arrangement, to store fireworks, this Authority will carry out a full audit under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 in the first instance. This is to ensure the premises is broadly compliant with that legislation before it is considered suitable for the storage of fireworks.

Where this is a first time application by an individual this Authority will also carry out a check through South Yorkshire Police to ensure the applicant is a fit and proper person to store fireworks. This is based on the requirements of Regulation 20, of the Explosive Regulations 2014.

Our SYFR Enforcement Policy can be found here.

Please note that we may require a minimum of 28 days notice to carry out the administration for you to obtain a fireworks storage license from the date of initial application.

If you are intending to store more than 2,000kg of Net Explosive Content (NEC) of fireworks or if you intend to store explosives in mines, you must apply for a license from the Health and Safety Executive.

Further firework storage information is available from the Health and Safety Executive –

For queries, e-mail or call us on 0114 253 2923.

Apply now

Use the following link to obtain the current SYFRA pyrotechnic articles application/fireworks/renewal form: Fireworks Storage – Application and Renewal form

If you are licensing for the first time you will also require to be aware of the following storage licensing conditions – SYFR Conditions of Licence for the storage of fireworks

Current Legislation

The Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015 require that all consumer fireworks sold in the UK must comply with Part 2 of those Regulations.

The Pyrotechnic Articles (Safety) Regulations 2015 specify those fireworks which may be supplied to the general public. These are listed as Category F1, F2 and F3 fireworks.

Only fireworks that comply with European Safety Standards that carry a CE mark and are correctly labelled, with details of the manufacturer and importer, can legally be supplied to consumers.

You are permitted to store fireworks that are labeled in accordance with BS7114: Part 2, until they are suitably disposed of. However since the 5 July 17 it is an offence  to supply fireworks labeled under BS 7114, as retail fireworks, to any customers by you and you should not be supplied any such fireworks by distributors or wholesalers.

Risk Assessment

If you intend to store fireworks you will be required to complete a Health & Safety/Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR) – Risk Assessment. You must also:

  • find out what dangerous substances are in the workplace and what the risks are
  • put control measures in place to either remove those risks or, where this is not possible, control them
  • put controls in place to reduce the effects of any incidents involving dangerous substances, in this case fireworks
  • prepare plans and procedures to deal with accidents, incidents and emergencies involving dangerous substances
  • make sure employees are properly informed about and trained to control or deal with the risks from the dangerous substances

Further information on completing a HSE/DSEAR risk assessment can be found here.

You may also find the following documents are a useful start:

SYFR Retailers Risk Assessment Document for the Storage of Fireworks

Retailers’ Risk Assessment Checklist

Storage Fees

For the appropriate fees, please see The Health and Safety and Nuclear (Fees) Regulations 2016.

Applying for a licence to sell fireworks at any time throughout the year:

Fireworks can normally only be sold at certain limited times of the year based on the issue of the Storage Licence. If as a retailer you wish to sell fireworks outside these dates you must apply for a “licence to supply/expost for supply adult fireworks”.

This is an all year supply licence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004 which can be obtained from South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue. The annual fee is £500. To obtain an application form please email or call 0114 253 2923.

Planning a Fireworks Display

If you are planning a fireworks display please be aware of the guidance available below:

Working Together on Firework Displays – The Blue Firework Guide  –  This guide is specifically intended for organisers of firework displays, or events where fireworks are to be used, where the display is setup, fired and derigged by a professional display company and professional display companies as the basic information to enable them to communicate effectively with an event organiser to achieve a safe and effective display

Giving Your Own Firework Display – The Red Firework Guide   – The advice in this publication covers only those firework displays, normally at pubs, clubs or charity gatherings, where the organisers set off the fireworks themselves and have no specialist knowledge.

This content was last updated on September 02nd, 2019