South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue
  • In emergencies call 999
  • General enquiries 0114 272 7202

Frequently asked questions

How do I check an Inspecting Officer is genuine?

Please contact 0800 917 6119.

What do I need to do to comply with Fire Safety Law?

As a responsible person you need to comply with the Articles of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. The articles which impose requirements for fire safety within the premises are 8-22 and 38 these are also known as your fire safety duties. The Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order can be viewed in full here.

The first step towards complying with fire safety law is completing a fire risk assessment.

You then need to make sure there are:

  • Measures to reduce the risk of fire and fire spread
  • Means of escape that can be used at all material times
  • Means of detecting a fire and alerting/ giving warning to those on the premises
  • Means for fire fighting
  • Arrangements for action to be taken in the event of fire
  • Arrangements for making sure anything put in place is tested regularly and works correctly
  • Arrangements for informing others of what to do in the event of fire.

Overall your responsibility is to try and avoid a fire, whilst making sure if there was a fire people within the premises are made aware and can evacuate safely.

What is a Fire Risk Assessment?

You can find out more about fire risk assessments here.

Do I contact you for a risk assessment?

No. It is the responsibility of the responsible person (employer, person with control of the premises or the owner) to carry out a fire risk assessment. You can do the assessment yourself or if you feel you don’t have the expertise required, appoint someone to carry this out for you. See our guidance and resources page for templates or advice in choosing a competent fire risk assessor.

What are Fire Safety Audits and Business Safety Visits?

A Fire Safety Audit is a compulsory inspection by a fire safety inspecting officer, generated by a risk based inspection programme. A Business Safety Visit is an informal visit by your local fire crew to provide safety advice.

You can find out more about these on our fire safety visits page.

Who is the Responsible Person?

Under the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005. A responsible person is the employer, the person with control of the premises, or the owner. This always starts with the employer so if the premises are a workplace the employer will be the responsible person.

However, any person who has to any extent control of the premises or anything in them can also be held responsible as well as the responsible person. This could extend to staff members, fire risk assessors, fire alarm engineers, contractors, etc.

How long does an audit take?

We can’t give an exact time as this varies dependent on the size and use of a premises. It is also dependant on how an inspecting officer finds fire safety is managed and if they find any dangerous conditions.

What powers does an Inspecting Officer have?

Article 27 of the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005 details the powers of inspectors and can be viewed by clicking here.

How do I report a concern?

Click here for details on how to get in touch with us to report a concern.

Can you provide me fire safety advice?

We can direct you to relevant guidance and discuss issues with you. We are unable to complete a fire risk assessment for you.

Do I have to provide extinguishers?

Yes. The Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order 2005 requires that the premises are equipped, to the extent that is appropriate, with appropriate firefighting equipment. In most premises this will be in the form of fire extinguishers.

The only premises we do not expect fire extinguishers to be provided in are flats.

Does the front door of my flat have to be a fire door?

In a block of flat yes. The door should provide a minimum of 30minutes fire resistance, be fitted with cold smoke seals, intumescent strips and a self-closing device. If there is a letter plate in the door this should also be intumescent.

If your flat has independent access straight from outside there are a number of other factors to consider before answering this question. Please contact us for further information.

This content was last updated on May 18th, 2020