Fire crews from Maltby and Rotherham stations were called to a premise fire on Fleming Gardens, Sunnyside, Rotherham just after 8pm on Monday evening.
The fire was in the kitchen and was due to the hob being accidentally being turned on and catching fire to an item on top.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put the fire out.
Luckily no one was injured in the incident.
Firefighters issue cooking safety advice:
- Try not to leave cooking unattended on the hob or grill – if you have to leave the kitchen, turn off the heat.
- Loose clothing can easily catch fire, so take care not to lean over a hot hob, and always keep tea towels, cloths and other items away from the cooker and hob.
- A build up fat and grease can ignite and cause a fire, try and clean the oven and hob on a regular basis.
- Double check the cooker and hob are turned off when you’ve finished cooking.
- Always keep an eye on children in the kitchen: don’t leave them unsupervised; put matches away; and keep saucepan handles out of reach.