A woman has had a lucky escape after a candle sparked a fire at her home on Rotherham Road in Monk Bretton, Barnsley.
Three fires crews from Barnsley and Cudworth stations were called to the house at 7pm on Wednesday night.
A smoke alarm had sounded and alerted the woman to the fire, giving her the time to escape the property.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly brought the fire under control.
The woman suffered slight smoke inhalation and was left in the care of the ambulance service.
Fire crews left the scene at 9pm.
Candle safety tips
- Always use a heat resistant holder on a stable surface, which won’t be knocked over
- Tea lights can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath
- Keep candles away from materials that may catch fire such as curtains, furniture and clothes
- Make sure you put out any candles when you leave the room and especially before bed
- Keep out of reach of children and pets