Most fire deaths happen at night, so take the time to check your home before you go to bed.
The key steps include:
- Check your escape routes are clear of obstacles
- Make sure your keys are kept where you and your family can find them
- Switch off cookers, washing machines, heaters, laptops and other electrical appliances, unless they are meant to be left on, like fridges and freezers
- Unplug mobile phones, tablets, e-cigarettes and other types of charger- never leave them to charge overnight
- Make sure candles are put out– never leave a lit candle unattended
- Close internal doors, especially downstairs. If a fire does start, this stops it from spreading as fast
- If you have a mobile phone, take it to bed with you. Call 999 in an emergency
Watch our video below to find out more about how to prevent fires before you go to bed.