Fires in the countryside can be disastrous. Wildfires can spread fast and put lives and property at risk, not to mention destroy valuable wildlife habitat.
Our advice is simple.
- Only BBQ in designated areas – otherwise, leave the disposable BBQ at home and take a picnic instead!
- Don’t make campfires
- Dispose of cigarettes carefully
- Take all your litter home
At home, there are also some simple tips you can follow to protect your property from fires. In 2022, when the UK was scorched by record temperatures, fires that began in rural areas spread to houses and gardens.
To help protect your home from wildfires.
- Make sure your garden is clear of flammable dry material such as garden waste.
- In hot conditions, DO NOT burn waste in your garden. We have seen cases where these have spread to fences and neighbouring properties.
If you see anyone setting fires, contact Firestoppers which, much like its sister Crimestoppers, is completely anonymous.
All you need to do is call our dedicated phone number, 0800 169 5558, or fill out our online form – www.firestoppersreport.co.uk.