Road safety education in our area is delivered by the South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership. There is lots of advice about staying safe on the roads available on their website.
Safe driving is mostly common sense, but there are still some simple things you can do to make it less likely that you suffer an accident on the roads.
Our top five tips for preventing collisions are:
- Think speed – the risk of killing a pedestrian is four times higher at 40mph, than 30mph
- Keep your distance – leave at least a two second gap between you and the car in front
- Don’t drink and drive – just one drink can affect your response times as a driver
- Drive to the conditions– not the speed limit. Rain, ice and fog can all make it much more likely that you’ll suffer a collision
- Wear a seatbelt– this will massively reduce the chances of you suffering a serious injury if you are involved in a collision